- This event has passed.
Breathe Yourself Calm & Content (Lunchtime Chair Yoga)
Thu 17 Jan @ 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM
An event every week that begins at 1:00 PM on Thursday, repeating until Thu 14 Mar 2019
Take time out on your lunchbreak to Breathe Yourself Calm & Content with Dr Jessica Wiese, Yoga Teacher, Stress Reduction Trainer and Psychologist
Pranayama, the yogic practice of using the breath, invites you to be mindful of life’s most important function: breathing. Breath is life. We can live for days without food or water but deprive us of breath and we die within a few minutes. We barely pay attention to our breath though it continues to flow on an average of 15-20 times per minute – that makes 20,000 breaths per day! There is so much to discover about the breath and so much revealed by each breathing stroke. The breath is the only voluntary and involuntary body function and it is linked to several aspects of our being. It tells us about our physical, emotional and mental state and enables access to the nervous system so that once aware of this relationship, we can guide the breath to change those states.
In this course, you will learn to notice and feel your breath, its qualities and explore the breathing spaces in your body. Once we establish mindful breathing into and eased off tension in the respiratory muscles, we will look into exercises to balance the mind and dive deeper into stillness and focus. These will entail practices to even and lengthen the in- and outbreath and to find the spaces between the breath. We will learn how to cool down through the breath, releasing tension and uncomfortable feelings (e.g. Lion’s breath) and how to use the breath to warm us up and feel more invigorated (e.g. fire breath). Occasionally, simple movements and mudras (hand gestures) will be incorporated to loosen the physical body, supporting focus and assisting breathing practices.
Join us in our Breathing Space at Catch Your Breath, Palace Green Library, for a calm and content lunchtime chair yoga class. The Dennyson Stoddart Gallery can get cold, so please dress appropriately. All levels of ability are welcome!
This course runs for a total of 10 weeks, 1:00-1:30pm, every Thursday from 10 January until 14 March 2019.
Due to the nature of these workshops and the gallery, space is limited. Whilst tickets are free, please ensure that you book in advance via Eventbrite to avoid disappointment. Use the links below.
- Thursday 10 January 2019 www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/lunchtime-chair-yoga-breathe-yourself-calm-content-tickets-52860736887
- Thursday 17 January 2019 www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/lunchtime-chair-yoga-breathe-yourself-calm-content-tickets-52860779013
- Thursday 24 January 2019 www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/lunchtime-chair-yoga-breathe-yourself-calm-content-tickets-52860825151
- Thursday 31 January 2019 www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/lunchtime-chair-yoga-breathe-yourself-calm-content-tickets-52860875301
- Thursday 7 February 2019 www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/lunchtime-chair-yoga-breathe-yourself-calm-content-tickets-52860906394
- Thursday 14 February 2019 www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/lunchtime-chair-oga-breathe-yourself-calm-content-tickets-52860939493
- Thursday 21 February 2019 www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/lunchtime-chair-yoga-breathe-yourself-calm-content-tickets-52861126051
- Thursday 28 February 2019 www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/lunchtime-chair-yoga-breathe-yourself-calm-content-tickets-52861159150
- Thursday 7 March 2019 www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/lunchtime-chair-yoga-breathe-yourself-calm-content-tickets-52861209300
- Thursday 14 March 2019 www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/lunchtime-chair-yoga-breathe-yourself-calm-content-tickets-52861366771